- City Departments
- Parks, Forestry & Cemetery
- Cemetery Division
This Parks Department is responsible for operating and maintaining Lakeside and Greenwood Cemeteries. Lakeside Cemetery is approximately 60 acres in size and has been designated as a perpetual care cemetery and requires intensive landscape management. Greenwood Cemetery consists of 14 acres and is considered a “natural” dry landscape cemetery that requires periodic landscape care. Fees are charged for grave spaces and other services in both cemeteries.
Cemetery Crew Responsibilities
Cemetery crews are responsible for the following services:
- Coordinating with monument dealers, morticians, and contractors
- Excavating grave spaces
- Arranging burial accommodations of various types
- Mowing and trimming the turf grass around approximately 18,000 monuments each week
- Selling grave spaces
Lakeside Cemetery is located at 1008 Elm Avenue and provides customary final resting places for area residents. Greenwood Cemetery (Pioneer) is the final resting place for many of Canon City's pioneering families. Burial spaces are available at Lakeside Cemetery on a fee basis. Greenwood Cemetery is reserved for descendants or family members of those families already interred at the cemetery.
Purchase Burial Spaces or Locate Burials
Any person interested in purchasing burial spaces or is trying to locate any person buried at Lakeside or Greenwood Cemetery should call 719.269.9024 or go to the Cemetery Business Office at 221 Griffin Avenue (North-West corner of Centennial Park) between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The City maintains an extensive computer database designed to locate deceased members of the community. The entire burial space cost must be paid in advance of any burial.
Types of Services Available
- General grounds maintenance
- Location of burial sites for monument installation
- Location of existing burial spaces
- Monument foundation installation
- Open and closing services
- Vault installation
- Vault testing
- Burial space purchase
Partial list of fees as of June 2006:
- Adult space - specific sections double depth: $1300
- Adult space - specific sections single depth: $800
- Ash Space - specific sections - 4 burials per space: $600
- Child space - specific sections: $400
- Veteran's space - specific sections: $350
Rules & Regulations
A full set of Rules and Regulations, including fees for various services, for the Cemetery are set forth in Resolution No. 8 - 2011 (PDF).
- Lakeside and Greenwood Cemeteries are open to the public from sunrise to sunset. The cemeteries are closed after dark.
- Native grass (dry land) sections of Lakeside or Greenwood Cemeteries are not provided with irrigation water and are maintained on an as-need basis. Native areas of either cemetery are not mowed more than a few times each year or as-needed.
- Ownership may not be transferred until an application is made to the Office of the City Clerk and all appropriate fees are paid to the City.
- Only licensed and insured Contractors that hold a current license with the City of Canon City may install monuments in any City-owned cemetery.
- Dogs are prohibited from any City-owned cemetery.