- City Departments
- Parks, Forestry & Cemetery
Parks, Forestry & Cemetery
Please remember to wear a life jacket when playing on the Arkansas River. Life jackets are required for persons of all ages when swimming, rafting, tubing, etc. on the river. BE SAFE!
The Parks, Open Space, and Cemetery Department is responsible for the design, construction, operations, and maintenance of the following City-owned facilities:
- Open space
- Recreational facilities
The Cañon City Parks Division maintains sixteen public parks as well as many public use areas and green belts, comprising more than 6,500 acres, including three mountain parks and two Cemeteries.
The Parks, Open Space, and Cemetery Department ensures that the following responsibilities are performed:
- Burial services are performed in a courteous and respectful manner
- Campgrounds, picnic areas, trails, and open space areas are patrolled and rules and regulations are enforced
- Good turf grass management practices are followed
- Recreational facilities are safe, cleaned, and repaired
- Trash and litter is removed in all parks and public areas including the Main Street pedestrian area
- Trees and shrubs are maintained
The Parks, Open Space, and Cemetery Department is also responsible for overseeing contracted services including:
- Contracted mowing
- Removal of dead trees
- Street tree pruning
- Stump grinding
- Trimming services
The Parks, Open Space, and Cemetery Department assists the Administrative Service’s Department in obtaining and administering a range of grants including Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) Park and Recreation grants, and processes approximately 600 park use permits per year.
Park Related Documents
Park Trails and Maps
Visit our Maps Page to view static and interactive maps of our city parks and trail systems.
- Park Use Permit - Private Event
- Tree Voucher Application @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>