Attention: City of Cañon City Sales/Use Tax Filers
- CONSUMER USE TAX for businesses within the city limits should be paid directly to the City of Cañon City. Please submit and pay your use tax returns on-line here: Consumer Use Tax On-Line Payments.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all sales tax for the City of Cañon City will be collected by the State of Colorado. When you file your Colorado State returns for 2021, on the State of Colorado portal, please include City of Cañon City sales tax under the City of Cañon City column on the state return. For further details, please refer to the state’s website at https://www.colorado.gov/revenueonline/_/ or email email@example.com.
- All returns for periods prior to January 2021 must be sent directly to the City of Cañon City. However, on-line filing is no longer available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
- Beginning January 2021, a City of Cañon City sales tax license will no longer be required, but a valid Colorado state sales tax license must be maintained. During 2021, the City of Cañon City will be working on establishing a business license that will be required for businesses with a physical presence in Cañon City.
- Effective January 1, 2017, the sales/use tax rate for the City of Cañon City changed to 3% in which 1% is designated for street improvements.
Sales/Use Tax Department is responsible for monitoring businesses’ compliance with the City of Cañon City Sales/Use Tax ordinances, overseeing collection of City Use Taxes, and auditing of Sales/Use Tax records. The main emphasis is educating and assisting businesses with voluntary compliance with the ordinances, while maintaining the resources to enforce the ordinances, if necessary. The objective of the audit function is to ensure sales/use tax license holders are in compliance with the City of Cañon City Municipal Code.