What you can build without a permit? (Residential Construction)
  • One story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of group R-3, as applicable in section 101.2 and group U occupancies.
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route (located entirely within property lines).
  • Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a group R, division 3 occupancy, in which the pool walls are entirely above grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purpose and not including service systems.
  • Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5’ in height.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

All non-listed building projects are subject to have a building permit required. Please contact the Cañon City Building Department at (719) 276-5253 with any questions regarding permit requirements.

Show All Answers

1. What requires a permit? (Residential Construction)
2. Do we need a permit for electrical or plumbing?
3. What you can build without a permit? (Residential Construction)
4. What if I'm not sure if my contractor is licensed?