What you can build without a permit? (Residential Construction)
  • One story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Sidewalks and driveways.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610mm) deep.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purpose and not including service systems.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

All non-listed building projects are subject to have a building permit required. Please contact the Cañon City Building Department at (719) 276-5253 with any questions regarding permit requirements.

Show All Answers

1. What requires a permit? (Residential Construction)
2. Do we need a permit for electrical or plumbing?
3. What you can build without a permit? (Residential Construction)
4. What if I'm not sure if my contractor is licensed?