We want to wish congratulations to our Chief of Police Daric Harvey who is retiring from law enforcement after 24 ½ years of service. Chief Harvey will be leaving his position to move closer to his family. His resignation date will be effective July 3, 2020. Commander Tammy Wagner will be named as Interim Chief of Police while we post the open position and field applicants. Commander Wagner’s transition period will start Monday, June 8, 2020.
We would like to recognize the following significant accomplishments and memberships the police department has attained under Daric Harvey’s tenure as chief:
- Increased diversity of the department, promoting the first female commander and first African American sergeant in CCPD history
- Improved department technology implementing computers in cars, body cameras, fingerprint readers, and license plate readers.
- Implemented a co-responder program to address gaps in mental health and criminal justice involvement
- Implemented a crime analysis program that improved data integrity and analysis of crime trends
- Implemented ethics and physical ability testing for all newly hired officers
- Improved the agency’s internal investigation protocols that rooted out corruption within the department
- Expanded the police Canine Unit, detective unit, parks patrol, and re-instituted a traffic motorcycle officer program
- Significantly updated the police vehicle fleet to lower the average age of patrol cars to 4 years
- Enhanced the department’s grant funding program that brought in over $1 million dollars to fund agency programs and equipment
- Served on the Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training Board, Legislative Oversight Committee, and two Gubernatorial task forces on criminal justice reform
- Increased the department’s transparency and relationships with the public through enhanced media strategies, local organization membership, and community outreach
- Implemented employee led policy and planning groups within the department, and improved testing for promotion to include interpersonal skills and technical knowledge
We thank Chief Harvey for his service during these challenging times of COVID-19 and everything else going on in the world. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.