2018 International Codes
Timeline for the adoption of the 2018 International Code.
January 1, 2020 – June 1, 2020
Kathy and CCC to review the proposed codes and provide possible amendments.
- International Building Code
- International Residential Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Existing Building Code
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- International Property Maintenance Code
January through July 2020
On-going meetings with Contractors and Public to discuss code changes and amendments.
June 2020 – September 2020
Work with City Attorney’s to draft the ordinance for the adoption of the 2018 International Codes.
General Government Committee Meeting.
• General Government Committee Meeting.
• Meeting with Contractors and Public to go over what changes have been made in the adoption ordinance.
October 2020 – November 2020
Adoption of the ordinance through Council approval.
January 1, 2021
Effective date of the 2018 Code adoption.
Energy Code Information
REScheck is a program that lets you use trade offs to come into compliance with the energy code. U.S. Department of Energy website has a free download of the REScheck program. https://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck
Colorado Energy Office. https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/
Southwest Energy Efficiency Project. https://www.swenergy.org/
2018 Code Discussion - Web Forum
If you have any questions about the adoption of the 2018 International Codes, please join our online forum at https://www.canoncity.org/2018CodeDiscussion
When will code be adopted?
We are looking for adoption by December 2020.
What are the biggest changes?
Sprinkler systems, fire protection of floors in a crawlspace and basements, energy code.
Will there be a transition period specified for new code adoption?
We will provide a transition period in advance.
ISO ( Insurance Service Office)
- The Fire Department is at a 3 rating and in compliance.
- The Building Department lost their ISO rating last year. We can get this back once we have adopted the new code edition. Building Department ISO is considered under Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule. They analyze the data we provide them and they assign us an effectiveness classification from 1 to 10 with 1 as exemplary. We received a 10 in 2018.
Will sprinkler systems be required for residential application?
- After discussions about Fire Sprinkler Systems, the consensus was that you do not want fire sprinkler systems for one and two family dwellings adopted when we proceed with the adoption of the 2018 International Codes.
Chief Dave Delvecchio would like to set up a demonstration in March 2020 of Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems.