Sales / Use Tax
Attention: City of Cañon City Sales/Use Tax Filers
- Effective February 1, 2021, the UMB Lockbox, PO Box 17946 located in Denver, CO, for sales tax returns will be closed.
- Beginning January 2021, a City of Cañon City sales tax license will no longer be required, but a valid Colorado state sales tax license must be maintained. During 2021, the City of Cañon City will be working on establishing a business license that will be required for businesses with a physical presence in Cañon City.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, all sales tax for the City of Cañon City will be collected by the State of Colorado. When you file your January’s sales tax return for the State of Colorado and submit it in February, you will need to include the City of Cañon City’s sales tax on the State of Colorado portal under the City of Cañon City column on the return. Please refer to the state’s website for further details: tax.colorado.gov.
- All returns for periods prior to January 2021 should still be remitted and paid to the City of Cañon City. If you have any questions, please contact Christian Nyberg at 719-276-5252 or email@example.com.
- The City of Cañon City sales tax department has been following the Colorado state guidelines on sales tax in regards to extensions of due dates which has now expired. All late returns will now be charged applicable penalties and interest.
- Effective January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2020, the City of Cañon City requires all Sales/Use Tax returns to be filed and paid online.
- Effective January 1, 2017 the sales/use tax rate for the City of Cañon City changed to 3% in which 1% is designated for street improvements.
Sales/Use Tax Department is responsible for monitoring businesses’ compliance with the City of Cañon City Sales/Use Tax ordinances, overseeing collection of City Sales/Use Taxes, and auditing of Sales/Use Tax records. The main emphasis is educating and assisting businesses with voluntary compliance with the ordinances, while maintaining the resources to enforce the ordinances, if necessary. The objective of the audit function is to ensure sales/use tax license holders are in compliance with the City of Cañon City Municipal Code. View the Finance-Sales/Use Tax section of the Municipal Code.
Standard Municipal Home Rule Affidavit of Exempt Sale
The Standard Municipal Home Rule Affidavit of Exempt Sale form (PDF) is provided by home rule municipalities within the State of Colorado to record supporting information for any transaction on which an exemption from tax is claimed. This form is maintained by the seller for tax-exempt sales.