The City of Cañon City Police Department Records Division maintains all police department records, with the exception of personnel records.
Due to COVID-19 we are open by appointment only, forms are available online or in the entryway of the Police Department. Please call 719-276-5600 option 1 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or to schedule an appointment. In order to protect the public and our staff we are requiring that anyone entering our building must have a mask on. In order to maintain social distancing we are asking that you limit the amount of people with you when conducting business in our building. We appreciate your understanding and support in keeping everyone safe.
It is the mission of the Records Department to ensure accuracy in providing a variety of different documents and reports to the public. We strive to achieve the highest standards of the organization so that records can be made available for inspection and copying.
Costs of Services (Check or Cash Only)
- Bike License: $2
- Dog Impounds: $12.50 1st Day, $5 each additional day
- Dog Licenses: $12.50 male/spayed female, $22.50 un-spayed females.
- Fingerprints: We are only doing Criminal or Court-Ordered Fingerprints 8 am to 5 pm. Monday through Friday. Please note that identification is required.
- Local Background Checks: Monday through Friday (8 am - 5 pm) The cost is $10. Bring a valid government-issued photo ID. Local Background Checks only consists of The City of Cañon City Police Department records.
- Records (Police Reports): (black/white) $0.25 per page + sales tax, (color) $1 per page + sales tax, (CD/DVD) $5. Bring a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Note: There is a $25 per hour fee for searches requiring more than 1 hour of service.
- Note: Please print the Records-Police Report Request Form HERE
- VIN Inspections: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 8 am to 5 pm. The cost is $20 cash or local check only. The vehicle must be present with a title or registration.
- Certified VIN Inspections: For a Certified VIN you must come into the office Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm to complete the required paperwork. An officer will contact you to schedule an appointment. The cost of $50 must be paid to the officer completing your inspection.
- 911 Recordings: $5 per CD/DVD
- Sex Offender Registrations: Monday through Friday (8 am - 5 pm) (Annual) $25; (Quarterly) $10
Be sure to bring a valid government-issued photo ID, registrations on all vehicles you have access to, and if you are on probation or parole, a copy of your conditions of release.