To that end, at its November 15, 2016 Strategic Planning retreat, the City Council identified its vision for Cañon City as a vibrant, attractive and safe community that values quality of life, adventure and prosperity. To achieve this community vision, the City must develop a “road map” or strategic plan that provides the direction to its desired destination.
The proposed 2017-2020 Strategic Plan strives to provide the strategic priorities and key intended outcomes the City organization will focus on over the next three years to guide the community towards its vision. The foundation of the proposed strategic plan is built upon the following strategic priorities:
- Economic Development
- Public Safety
- Attractive Built Environment
- Community Investment Opportunities
- Public Trust, Transparency and Accountability
The following critical steps describe how we will move from words to action and ensure alignment of the City’s’ Strategic Plan, department and staff work plans, policies, and budget.
- Each City department will create an annual Business Plan with specific action-oriented goals, work activities, and performance measures to align with and make progress on the Strategic Priorities.
- City Council policy initiatives and discussions will focus on the Strategic Priorities.
- Senior management and employee performance evaluations will be linked with the Strategic Priorities.
- Strategic Priorities performance measures will be monitored and reported on to hold ourselves accountable for making measurable progress in achieving the strategic commitments.
- Periodic reviews of the Strategic Plan will be conducted by City Council to ensure that it continues to focus City government resources on the issues most important to the City Council and community.
I would like to thank the community, City Council, and staff for having the foresight and dedication required to develop a shared purpose and strategic plan to achieve significant and sustainable success for the City of Cañon City.
2017-2020 Stragetic Plan