Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call for code enforcement issues?
For code enforcement complaints, you may fill out an online complaint form or contact the Cañon City Code Enforcement Officer at 719.276.5600.

What happens when code violations are found?
The Code Enforcement Officer identifies code violations and investigates all complaints to determine any unlawful activity relating to the City’s codes and ordinances that pertain to private property. If violations are identified, the Officer will, if at all possible, contact the owner and/or tenant personally to discuss the violation and set up a timeline for abatement (elimination of the violation). To avoid further action by the City, abatement is expected to occur within 7 to 10 days, but can be extended depending on any unique circumstances. If the violation still exists after that time, the Officer mails and/or posts the property with a Notice of Violation for the property owner and/or occupant. After that, failure to meet instructed compliance procedures can result in the issuance of an Administrative Citation or a Court summons, both of which will have fines connected with them.

Additionally, failure to heed compliance with citations can result in the assessment of abatement costs and/or a property tax lien attached to the unlawful property. In all cases, the property is monitored to expedite clean-up compliance and the current responsible owner is given ‘due process’ notification.

What types of code violations are enforced within Cañon City?
There are a few ways to find out what codes are enforced.

  1. These FAQs answer some questions about code enforcement.
  2. You can click on the Property Maintenance tab in the Code Enforcement section of this website for a list of most of the codes that are enforced with respect to private property.
  3. You can review Cañon City’s Municipal Code to help understand the current ordinances enforced.
  4. You can call the Code Enforcement Officer at 719.269.9011 for information.

What regulations pertain to my property?
Title 17 of the Zoning Regulations is the zoning code. It deals with all aspects of private property regulations. If you are considering subdividing your property or changing a lot line then the Subdivision and Development Regulations would apply also.

Does the city have information pertaining to my property? 
Sometimes, but not often. If your home was recently constructed, we may have a copy of a survey or improvement location certificate (ILC) in our building records. However, the city does not generally require surveys for the issuance of a building permit. Additionally, many homes in Canon City were built prior to, or early in the 20th century, and therefore without any type of permit. The Fremont County Assessor maintains a certain amount of information on all properties in the City.

What if I have a disagreement with my neighbor about where our mutual property line is?
Disputes of this nature are private and the City has no jurisdiction in these matters. If you and your neighbor cannot agree, you should consider getting a land survey and/or consult an attorney.

Can I keep horses on my property?
The keeping of horses and other livestock is allowed on R-L, R-1, R-2 and R-3-zoned properties in the City, provided you have enough land area. To even consider having a horse in R-1, R-2 and R-3 zones, your lot or parcel has to be at least 1 acre. R-L zoning requires at least 15,000 square feet of land. There are other requirements in Chapter 17.20.114 of the Zoning Regulations with respect to numbers of animals, care-taking and fencing. See also Chapter 17.08 for a definition of “livestock”.

Can I keep poultry on my property?
In residential zones R1 and R2, you may keep up to eight (8) chickens as an accessory use. In zone RL – Rural Living, chickens are considered livestock and therefore a permitted use also. In the C-Commercial and I-Industrial zones where the parcel or lot is used for residential purposes, backyard chickens are allowed through the approval of a conditional use permit. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.029 of the Zoning Regulations for more information about the keeping of backyard chickens. Also see the Handouts page.

How many dogs may I have on my property?
You are allowed to have a maximum of four (4) dogs as an accessory use in any zone district where the property is being used for residential purposes. Dogs must be licensed and dogs that are vicious or are known to attack are prohibited within the city. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.102 of the Zoning Regulations and Chapter 6.08 of the Municipal Code.

Can I store an RV on my property?
In residential zone districts, you may store a recreational vehicle on your property as long as you are not infringing on any resident’s access to their property and that storage of the RV does not block driveways or sidewalks or encroaches into a vision clearance area. You may not store an RV on the street. An RV may be parked on the street for no more than 48 hours. Please refer to Chapter 17.28.110 and 17.20.200 of the Zoning Regulations for more information. Also see the Handouts page.

Can I park a truck-tractor or semi-trailer on or in front of my residential property?
No commercial vehicle or any type of mobile machinery weighing more than 1½  tons gross weight may be parked or stored on lots in the residential zone districts except when they are parked or stored in a fully enclosed  garage or similar structure. Exceptions are allowed for construction vehicles and equipment for a limited amount of time. Vehicles hauling flammable liquids, explosives or hazardous materials cannot be stored or parked anywhere within the residential zone districts. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.120 and of the Zoning Regulations and Chapter 12.26 of the Municipal Code for more complete information.

Can I have an in-home business?
A home occupation is a permitted use provided that the use is clearly secondary to the residential use of the property and if there are no adverse impacts on the neighborhood. Examples of the types of home occupations allowed might include a home office, flower arranging, tailoring, licensed family child care and telephone sales. Employees of the in-home business are limited to those who live on the premises. Up to 20% of the area of the home can be used for the home occupation. A sign is permitted up to two square feet in size. Other licenses may be required also. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.100 and the definition of “home occupation” in Chapter 17.08 of the Zoning Regulations for more information. Also see the Handouts page.

Am I allowed to have a yard sale from my residential property?
You are allowed to have up to three (3) yard sales per year. Please refer to Chapter 17.20.220 of the Zoning Regulations for more information.

What type of signage is allowed on my residential property?
If you are operating an in-home business (home occupation), you can have one sign up to 2 square feet in size and a sign permit is not required. Real estate signs, political campaign signs and signs advertising a property for sale or rent generally do not require sign permits, but do have size requirements. Please refer to Chapter 17.30 of the Zoning Regulations for more information about signs or contact the Code Enforcement Officer at 719.269.9011 for help with sign permitting.

What type of signage is allowed on commercial property?
Commercial signage is limited and requires a sign permit. Please refer to Chapter 17.30 of the Zoning Regulations and call the Code Enforcement Officer at 719.269.9011 for help with sign permitting.

Can I get a trash exemption for the current trash ordinance?
Yes, you may fill out an exemption form explaining your circumstances and submit this completed form to Code Enforcement. You will be notified of the approval or denial of your application within 10 business days after submittal.